We are FunTreks - built by extreme trail lovers for extreme trail lovers.
Outdoor Enthusiasts, the Off Road Way
These aren’t guidebooks for just anyone. They were created by some crazy folks who live for being out there on the trails every chance they get (hint: it’s us); and they were made for those who share the same passion for getting way, way off the beaten path.
We want more for your off-road adventures because, when it comes to getting down and dirty, we do it with the best of them. Nothing is more exciting to us than learning every nook and cranny of a new trail and taking the time to master it so that you can, too.
Mother Nature Is Pretty Cool
And we want to keep her that way. We care a great deal about the environment and believe that our public lands can be enjoyed responsibly. Each of our trail guides is created with this in mind so you can make the most of what this beautiful world has to offer on your terms while still respecting the land you’re exploring.
- Pushing your limits
- Living it up
- Creating memories
- Never saying “no” to that grand adventure
Chuck with his first Jeep on Engineer Pass in 1994.
From the owner…
There weren’t many 4×4 guidebooks available back in 1994 when I first started four-wheeling. I know because at that time I had purchased every book on the market. I’d just bought my first Jeep Grand Cherokee and was having a ball exploring the Colorado backcountry. As I traveled around using the books, I kept thinking of ways the books could be better. One day, armed with detailed notes and photos from my trips, I sat down and sketched out a few pages of what I thought a guide should be. I had no idea, however, how to turn that idea into a commercial product.
When I was younger, I made my living as a graphic designer, but I’d moved into management and hadn’t designed in years. During that time, the graphic design business had completely changed. T-squares and drawing boards were a thing of the past; now everything was done on computers. Fortunately, I had friends at my company who worked in the graphic design department. They advised me on what equipment to buy and helped me as I struggled to learn how to use the new tools.
Working nights and weekends, it took me two years to complete the first book. It was during that time that FunTreks was conceived. I took my completed 268-page digital file to a local printer and essentially placed a $6,000 bet that the books would sell. After the books were printed, I loaded up my car and headed for mountain towns like Ouray and Silverton, around which many of the trails were located. I simply walked into stores, introduced myself and showed the book. To my surprise, many store owners placed multiple-case orders on the spot. In most situations, I walked out with a check in my pocket. I quickly found myself returning to Colorado Springs for more books.
Within a short time, I had a distributor who sold my books to Barnes & Noble and other big stores. My first printing of 4,000 sold out in a couple of months. I was running home on my lunch hour and packing 20 to 30 cases for the UPS driver. My garage was my warehouse.
It wasn’t long before my day job started getting in the way of my FunTreks job. With great trepidation, I cut the umbilical cord and went on my own. I was fortunate that my wife, Bev, supported me in this risky move. More than twenty years later, FunTreks is still going strong and we’re very excited for the future. We still enjoy what we’re doing and have never looked back.
— Chuck Wells
Chuck’s blue Cherokee on Wheeler Lake, CO. This obstacle is now gone.
Chuck, Bev and dog Bailey on Cumberland Pass, CO in 1995.
- Trail Information Prevails. The information provided by Funtreks is not intended to replace the information provided on any trail or road, such as travel direction, time-based restrictions, animal restrictions, mode of transportation restrictions, trail blocks, trail signs, police or park ranger instructions, etc.
- Cautious Riding. Always travel vigilantly according to trail conditions and in accordance with local laws.
- No Warranty of Accuracy. The information provided by Funtreks is always fluctuating and may be inaccurate, incomplete or outdated. Funtreks does not provide any warranties to such information’s timeliness, credibility or reliability. All information and content provided by the Funtreks service (the “Service”) is made available for informational and planning purposes only, and is not intended to be relied upon in situations where precise location information is needed or where erroneous, inaccurate, time-delayed or incomplete location or trail data may lead to death, personal injury, property or environmental damage. The results you receive from the Service may vary from actual trail conditions due to factors that can affect the accuracy of the data, such as, without limitation, weather, trail and traffic conditions, and geopolitical events. For your safety, always pay attention to your surroundings and observe current trail conditions and signage.
- Location-Based Service. Some features of the Service make use of detailed location and trail route information, for example in the form of GPS signals and other information sent by your mobile device. These features cannot be provided without utilizing this technology.
- Internet Connection. The connection required to use the Service, and any associated charges (e.g., mobile data charges) incurred by your use of the Service are your exclusive responsibility and made solely at your expense. Transmitting and receiving real-time updates to and from the Service requires an online (e.g., Wi-Fi, 3G, 4G, 5G) connection between your cellular device and the Internet. The expenses of such a connection are as prescribed by the agreement between you and your communications service provider (such as your cellular provider), and according to its applicable terms of payment.
- Public Data. The Service utilizes some public data for map displays, updates and trail information. The Service, its database, Funtreks trademarks, the design of the maps and other things integrated into the Service are owned by Funtreks, and are not public data.
- Limitation of Liability. FUNTREKS PROVIDES THE SERVICE AND THE CONTENT INCLUDED THEREIN FOR USE ON AN “AS IS” AND “AS AVAILABLE” BASIS. FUNTREKS HEREBY DISCLAIMS ALL WARRANTIES AND REPRESENTATIONS, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, WITH RESPECT TO THE SERVICE, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION, ANY WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, FEATURES, QUALITY, NON-INFRINGEMENT, TITLE, COMPATIBILITY, PERFORMANCE, SECURITY OR ACCURACY. Without limiting the above, Funtreks disclaims any warranties relating to the accuracy of the Service, the trail maps, content, trail conditions, directions, or navigation routes presented or displayed in or by the Service. For instance, existing trails may be missing from the Service and/or trails listed on the Service may be nonexistent. You acknowledge and agree that you assume full, exclusive and sole responsibility for the use of and reliance on the Service, and that you further acknowledge and agree that your use of or reliance on the Service is made entirely at your own risk. You further acknowledge that it is your responsibility to comply with all applicable laws and regulations while using the Service. Funtreks does not warrant that the Service will operate in an uninterrupted or error-free manner, or that it will always be available or free from all harmful components, or that it is safe, secure from unauthorized access, immune from damages, free of malfunctions, bugs or failures, including without limitation, hardware failures, software failures, and software communication failures, originating either in Funtreks or any of its providers. FUNTREKS, INCLUDING ITS OFFICERS, DIRECTORS, SHAREHOLDERS, EMPLOYEES, SUBCONTRACTORS AND AGENTS WILL NOT BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGE, OR ANY OTHER DAMAGE OR LOSS (INCLUDING LOSS OF PROFIT AND LOSS OF DATA), COSTS, EXPENSES AND PAYMENTS, EITHER IN TORT, CONTRACTUAL, OR IN ANY OTHER FORM OF LIABILITY, ARISING FROM, OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE USE OF, OR THE INABILITY TO USE, THE SERVICE, OR FROM ANY FAILURE, ERROR, OR BREAKDOWN IN THE FUNCTION OF THE SERVICE, OR FROM ANY FAULT OR ERROR MADE BY FUNTREKS STAFF OR ANYONE ACTING ON FUNTREKS’ BEHALF, OR FROM YOUR RELIANCE ON THE CONTENT OF THE SERVICE, OR FROM ANY COMMUNICATION WITH THE SERVICE, OR WITH OTHER USERS ON OR THROUGH THE SERVICE, OR FROM ANY DENIAL OR CANCELLATION OF YOUR USER ACCOUNT, OR FROM RETENTION, DELETION, DISCLOSURE AND ANY OTHER USE OR LOSS OF YOUR CONTENT THROUGH THE SERVICE. IN ANY EVENT, YOUR SOLE REMEDY WILL BE LIMITED TO CORRECTING SUCH ERRORS OR MALFUNCTIONS.